Went on a class trip last Wednesday to the NAB Show. I had been last year with my class at CSN so I knew it was going to be huge, so instead of just aimless wandering I decided to pick a few booths I was most excited about and spend my time there. Black Magic was my first stop, it was just inside the doors in the south hall, which was convenient as I was expecting to have to search for it. I had no idea the booth was going to be so huge, though I probably should have realized since they had just announced a few days earlier their latest cameras, the URSA and their broadcast cameras.
The URSA is a beast of a machine, and one of the first cameras available that allows you to upgrade components of the camera itself. And that huge 10 inch fold out monitor is just about as much as a selling point as the ability to upgrade components, such as the sensor, lens mount and body. All this plus the ability to shoot 4k RAW plus the DaVinci Resolve editing software included with a starting price of about $6000, makes this camera a RED killer.
Only slightly less impressive to me but still cool was the Studio Camera, with a starting price of $2k this camera was optimized for broadcast studio work with a 10 inch viewfinder and PL lens mount for the highest quality lenses, these cameras are essentially the Black Magic's Cinema and Production Cameras respectively, with giant monitors on the back. Still nice, but since I plan on being out in the field I'll stick with my plan to have a BMPC by the end of this summer. At only $3k, it really is the best option for me, price wise and in its ability to shoot 4k RAW, its Canon EF lens mount and 12 stops of dynamic range allow me to be able to use the camera at my current student level as well as take me up into the ranks of professionalism.
No comments:
Post a Comment